Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Age of the Uniforms is upon us...

I was on my way to work this morning - a daily routine that requires little thought to execute...
I go through the normal drill of getting to work - take a bike from the front gate (unfortunately I didn't get the bike In front of my gate) to the bus stop because I was pressed for time.

Cross the busy road and enter a vehicle to the Island where my office is located...

Reach Apangbon bus stop and take a bike to my office...

On the bike - I can make out a collection of uniforms that look like a typical parade day celebration... Since we DON'T have parades here - I am left to wonder why there must be a contest to create a "rainbow" display.

I have come to appreciate the proliferation of uniforms in this town - police uniforms, LASMA officials and their uniforms - who are the new power block, Road safety marshals and others who I feel do not merit the need for a name or description.

In my mind - I think the uniforms institute these "officials" as the "Law" and they use their powers to punish any "erring" person or persons - the ultimate aim of course is how they can "enrich" themselves...

Corruption as we all know remains an endemic problem in this country (especially Lagos)...

The aim of pulling the hapless motorist off the road in the guise of discharging his/her duties is all hogwash... The bottom line is how to make a quick buck or two...

That said - it is the way or what has been accepted as the new way to make money - I hear that LASMA generates very sizable revenue for the Lagos state government...

maybe the uniforms are there own way of constituting authority.

My own bottom line has always been to follow the money trail.

No comments: