Wednesday, March 14, 2007

O! Happy day...

A friend of mine was recently very generous to me...

He sent across a package that includes one of those wind me up kits (flashlight with the ability to recharge your phone)...

Why would he send me such a gift?

In one word: PHCN or blown up into its proper nomenclature of Power "Holding" Company of Nigeria formerly known as NEPA or Nigerian Electric Power Authority.
Obviously the change in name has equally affected their capacity to "hold-on" to electricity.

Now, I would deem it a miracle if you wake up to the glory of electricity in any guise and if you're so fortunate to do so then you must be among those class of Nigerians who own generators - which happen to be all the rage these days...

For the last two months we have been subjected to un-imaginable load shedding under so many guises - finally running out of excuses and steam, we're now told that the electrical power capacity has fallen drastically to such an extent that we must be subjected to days, weeks without electricity.
I can't even begin to ponder on the why of it all...

So that when you are fortunate enough to get two hours of electricity, the world is never better - all is at peace and PHCN (NEPA) is now your favored darling of the moment...

I get to iron only half of my shirt - if I'm lucky and try to wait patiently until there's electricity long enough to iron the shirts for a week of work, i try to 'stretch-out" a few wrinles before the heat dies away...

I'm beginning to think of this country in a very different "light" - pretty ironic isn't it?

Just checking in - for a Nigerian, it's so easy to fall into a lament...

No comments: